The Lip Balm Trials : Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm

So I think I wanna start another new series lol. I know I started the all time favorites series a couple weeks ago but this one will be about what I've been always trying to find, the HG of lip balms. 


I would have to say that the lip balm is one of those can't live without products. It is essential in my everyday routine, morning, noon and night. I always freak out when my lips are dry. Everyone's had those moments when they're standing in line somewhere and all of sudden they start licking their lips wondering where the heck is their lip balm and why the heck they don't have it in their purse. Why is that?! And they always seem to go missing. And have you really EVER finished one up? Anywho, they are one of life's necessities, especially in drier climates like southern california. But interesting thing, when  I went to the Philippines a few years ago my cousins thought it was so weird when I would pull out my little chapstick and moisturize my lips. They said that since the climate there was always so humid they would never really have the need to moisturize their lips constantly. Is that the case for you guys living in humid countries? Well needless to say I don't care if I was in a rainforest, I will always have the habit of using lip balm. 


So to start the trials off, I'm going to start with the Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm in grapefruit & ginger. Christine from Temptalia raves about this lip balm, so I decided to try it. What's great about this lip balm is that it's free of all these ingredients:

  • sulfates
  • synthetic fragrances
  • synthetic dyes
  • petrochemicals
  • phthalates
  • GMOs
  • triclosan

I also bought the lemon & chamomile version, but I took the grapefruit & ginger with me on my recent road trip to test it out. There are five versions, lemon & chamomile, black tea & blackberry, grapefruit & ginger, original and vanilla & lavender. The active ingredients are both sunscreens and offer a broad spectrum UVA and UVB protection, it has an SPF of 25. 

Here is the ingredient list on the back:
It's great that most of the ingredients are natural. From using this product on my trip let's just say it wasn't life/lip changing. My lips were extremely dry on this trip(so was my face but that's a whole other story) probably from the changes of weather and altitude. I had to reapply every three to four hours when my lips really needed moisture. But the lip balm unfortunately didn't help with the pealing. My lips pealed like crazy. After a while they were just raw patches of skin. The lip balm helped stabilize it for a couple of hours but afterwards I could feel the sting of my raw lips. Also when I apply this to my lips I could feel a numbing sensation after a few minutes, which I actually kinda like. The texture is I would say medium. It's not light like chapstick but it's not heavy like vaseline either. The fragrance and taste is pleasant, the grapefruit is definitely the prominent smell/flavor so if you're not a fan of grapefruit I would stay away. Luckily, I don't mind grapefruit. The ginger wasn't noticeable at all actually.


The lip balm contains .25 oz of product, and after using it constantly for a week I managed to use up about a quarter of it. The downside of using balm/jar vs stick is that I tend to finish the balm/jar a lot faster. But I guess that's also a good thing because the stick forms never get finished anyway and eventually get lost, so I in the end you get your moneys worth with the balm/jar types. Unless of course if you also tend to lose the balm/jar ...ok blah blah I'm rambling. 

So my final thoughts on this is that I probably wont be buying more. But it was not a total letdown so I'm gonna try and use them up. I honestly did put this product through the ultimate travel test so I'll give props to that. 

These retail for $7.50 and can be purchased at Sephora. 

Comments

Popular Posts